Online Success Story: Dee Bauer
My name is Dee Bauer and my website is about Austin TX concerts, theater, and sports. The concept is to have a friendly, neighborhood site where my fellow Austinites can find major Austin events rather than hop all over the internet searching.
1. When did you set up your website?
Launched January 2010
2. What gave you the idea for this particular niche & website?
It was a combination of factors. I love concerts and music, and originally sold concert tickets by advertising on Craigs List. Eventually it became impossible to maintain my traffic with CL, so I went onto a couple of real estate sites and one diet site. I had virtually no success with those. I knew I could succeed with the ticket site if only I could get the traffic. Thus AustinConcertTickets.net was born...
3. Did you have any experience with online business prior to creating this website?
Yes as stated above.. and I worked practically 24/7 for about three years prior with those sites. I was bound and determined to succeed.
4. What did you do for work prior to setting up an online business?
Built houses and invested in real estate. My husband has taken over the house building which supports me while I 'fail' my way to success! 🙂
5. How did you initially promote your website, and if different - how do you promote it now?
My main goal when starting the Austin site, was to get traffic via SEO. So I wrote a lot of content, blog posted and did some article marketing. I also set up Twitter from the get go because I like Twitter. Facebook.. ahhh, not so much. Just got FB going a couple of weeks ago. I also had an intern who helped me write, and held a Willie Nelson ticket giveaway.
Going forward, I am working more on my link building, plus bringing back the giveaway (which I NEVER should have stopped)
6. Is your website profitable? Can you share some basic traffic & profit stats with us?
- NOT according to Compete.com - but I average 15k unique monthly visitors.
- Hit PR2 at the beginning of the year.
- I began making a couple of hundred dollars per month at about the six month point and it has steadily grown since then.
7. What are your plans for the site going forward?
Growing it into a full-time income site by aggressively link building, promoting giveaways, cultivating relationships through Facebook and guest posting 🙂
8. What ONE piece of advice would you give someone interested in starting their own niche site or blog?
I'm sorry but I have to give two!
Build a site on something you love AND focus, focus, focus.
-Thank you Dee! Congratulations on your success.