I can't count the number of times that people have asked me for a list of legitimate work-at-home opportunities. Unfortunately, I dont have a simple list or solution to offer. Its not that I couldnt create a list of ideas or opportunities, its more that such a list wouldnt exactly answer their question.
While there are obvious scams floating around the 'net, of the business opportunities that are legitimate... well, they are too numerous for a single person to review and endorse. And of course the ideas for at-home businesses are literally as endless as a person is creative.
That said, my experience over the last 10 years of working at home has lead me to categorize the opportunities into five basic groups...
- Service-Based Business. This would include both online services and offline services. Examples include: housekeeping, web development, childcare, landscaping, copywriting, etc. Anything that you are good at can easily be turned into a service that people need and are willing to pay for. The ideas are endless!
- MLM or Network Marketing. This will usually include both online and offline marketing. There are thousands of companies to choose from, so you want to research product lines and compensation plans to find a company that is a good match for you. Building a solid business through MLM generally requires both recruiting and product sales.
- Affiliate Marketing. This is similar to Network Marketing in many ways, in that you earn a commission for sales that you make. These programs are promoted primarily online (though you can promote offline if you choose). While some merchants offer a 2nd payment tier for recruiting new affiliates, the majority of your income is derived from sales. Becoming an Affiliate Marketer is one of the easiest and most popular ways to earn money online.
- Product Development. The creative types can earn money online by developing products that fill a need in a particular market. This can include ebooks or guides, training videos, programs and utilities, or even physical products. The key is to be able to identify what a market needs, develop it (or have it developed) and market it properly.
- Blogging. This is something that any marketer should consider in addition to whatever business model they choose - it is as much a marketing plan as it is a business model. That said, blogging can also serve as a stand-alone opportunity to work from home and earn a decent income. You can monetize a blog with affiliate programs, by selling advertising or sponsorships, by creating and selling products to your readers, or even by participating in the paid-to-blog opportunities.
The reason that I dont create a list of work-at-home opportunities is because I believe that each successful online business is as unique as the person behind it. You really do need to sit down with someone and map out the ideal work at home opportunity - the one that will work best for you.
I think, too, that most people are looking for a "quick solution" when they ask that question. Unfortunately, there is nothing quick or easy about starting your own business - online or off. It takes dedication, motivation and a serious investment of time and energy.
On that note, I'll leave you with a few resources to consider, and you are welcome to leave any thoughts or questions that you have in the Reply box below...
Get Your Work-at-Home Questions Answered Free
Join us at the SSWT Discussion Forum, which is a very active community of Online Business Owners - a great place to get work-at-home ideas and learn Internet Marketing. You will find it to be a great spot for networking & gaining exposure, as well. Simply Register (free), set up a full Profile... and you will be able to join us in the ongoing discussions within a matter of minutes!
Get Personal One-on-One Help from an eBiz Professional!
Need to consult with a professional? I have been working from home and online successfully for 10 years now, and I would be happy to help you achieve the same. I offer personal consulting to Elite Members at the SSWT Forum. Becoming an Elite Member will grant you full access to my Private Forum and personal brainstorming group, where I will personally work with you and help you to achieve your goals.
More great resources:
- Find Freelance Work Online
- Learn How to Create & Sell Ebooks Online
- Become a Full-Time Affiliate Marketer
- Get a Sneak-Peak into 10 Successful Online Businesses
- Easily Create and Optimize your own Niche Blogs